From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 19:51:50 -0400

I wrote:

>> In the USA, if the ingredient list includes: flavorings, natural
>> flavorings, or the like, then it is *not* gluten-free.

Sue Goldstein asked:

>Don, please state the basis of this information.
>
>A lot of companies will state that their product has no gluten, even when
>"natural flavorings" is listed on the label.   Many times, when questioning
>the source of the natural flavorings, I am told that this information is
>proprietary, and that no one will provide details.  (ex: Pepsi)  This
>presents the problem: Do we trust the company's statement that their product
>is gluten free? Obviously, someone has decided that the natural flavorings in
>the product contain no gluten. [snip...]

My comment was referring to canned tomato products (and the like), which I
should have made clearer. I have *no* reason to believe that a fruit
oriented product, such as Pepsi, contains hidden HVP.

My basis for "natural flavorings" is from the NOMSG group. They state:

 Natural Flavors (Flavorings): Both autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein
 are permitted to be labeled under this category. Not all labels stating
 Natural Flavors mean that MSG-containing substances have been used. The
 consumer must proceed at his/her own risk.

Which is rather vague. But, based on some gluten testing that was done by
some of our list members on products that manufacturers claimed were GF, I
would not trust any company that refused to disclose the ingredients of
their natural flavors (in non-fruit products).

Don Wiss.