Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:45:03 -0400

Don Wiss wrote:

>In the USA, if the ingredient list includes: flavorings, natural
>flavorings, or the like, then it is *not* gluten-free.

Don, please state the basis of this information.

A lot of companies will state that their product has no gluten, even when
"natural flavorings" is listed on the label.   Many times, when questioning
the source of the natural flavorings, I am told that this information is
proprietary, and that no one will provide details.  (ex: Pepsi)  This
presents the problem: Do we trust the company's statement that their product
is gluten free? Obviously, someone has decided that the natural flavorings in
the product contain no gluten.

It seems to me that more and more products are adding "natural flavorings" to
their products, and that my choices are becoming less and less, since I do
not choose to accept in good faith the company's gluten-free statement,
without full disclosure of all ingredients. (Another issue: Aren't these
companies liable if they state their product is gluten free, and it is not?
What is our recourse?  I have noticed that there is an increasing amount of
companies who will no longer confirm or deny the presence of gluten in their
products.)

Relying on symptoms is absolutely not a consideration for me.  I have no
overt symptoms, only "silent" ones - such as nutritional deficiencies,
anemia, and bone loss, and yet my intestinal mucosa was flat on biopsy three
years ago. After recovering well on the diet and testing negative for
antibodies (Specialty Labs), I have just tested positive (Specialty Labs)
without ANY warning.   For me, no symptoms does not equal no damage...  and I
have concern for those of you who use the presence or absence of symptoms as
a gluten measuring stick.

Sue Goldstein
White Plains, NY