From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 13:44:47 -0500

In message Mon, 23 Jan 1995 01:32:26 -0500,
  catherine middleton <[log in to unmask]>  writes:

> I'm interested in recent comments by people who had a history of celiac
> disease in their families, and apparently suspected that they could be
> celiac themselves, (much dleted here)  If you suspect someone in your family
> is a celiac too, what's the harm in suggesting they try the diet?

Well, Catherine, have you ever tried to suggest to anyone that they follow
the gf diet?  I have suggested that the following people give the gf diet a
try, to see if it could be the cause of their troubles--to no avail.

1) A cousin of mine diagnosed with
"irritable bowel syndrome" that was noticeably worse after eating glutenous
foods.  Her husband, an MD (neurosurgeon) pooh-poohed the idea
and that was the end of that--she wouldn't even try, despite chronic
ill-health.

2)My nephew, with many symptoms of potential food allergies
(there are lots on the other side of his family) and/or gluten intolerance
be put on an elimation diet (or at least a gf diet).  My sister (his
mother), who is a nurse, claims that she tried a gf diet for a while, but
all she talked about was making pancakes out of straight oats instead of
wheat (hardly gf!), and that it was too much trouble to folow the diet
because my nephew is a VERY picky eater.  He continues to be undersized and
have many health and learning problems.

3) A former co-worker, who nearly had to be hospitalized after eating a
large portion of bread (again diagnosed with IBS), also
refused to try any kind of elimination diet because her doctor thought all
digestive upsets were due to a "nervous personality".  She had been sick for
years with all the classic symptoms of CD, and probably will be sick for
many more.

4) My brother-in-law, who says white wheat flour makes him sick (and
claims whole wheat flour doesn't!?!) cheerfully eats gluten-free when he
visits us and comments on how well he feels, then goes back home and eats
oats, etc. and continues to be chronically underweight and suffer from an
assortment of medical problems.  He won't try a gluten-free diet, either,
even though he's had firsthand experience with it improving his well-being.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him (or her) drink.

Laura Johnson-Kelly
265 McGraw Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853