From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:32:25 -0500

On Jan. 23 1995 catherine middleton wrote:

>If one celiac has already been diagnosed, is there any need for formal
>diagnosis of other family members experiencing symptoms, if a gluten free
>diet eliminates the symptoms? Is there a medical need to do a battery of
>tests and biopsies if the gluten free diet is effective in relieving the
>symptoms?

By symptoms I'm assuming you mean steatorrhea.  As far as I know the only
other cause of steatorrhea is kidney disease.  I have not had a biopsy or a
blood test, have no plans to take one, and have every intention of staying
fastidiously gluten free.  Why?  I get steatorrhea when I eat gluten.  The
timing and intensity of it is *directly* in relation to the amount of gluten
consumed.

Steatorrhea is *not* diarrhea.  The medical definition of it is: fatty
stools.  Besides *always* floating, they are pale, bulky, frothy, and
maloderous.  They can be fully formed however, and may not be considered
abnormal.  (I once met a slender Brit who thought his floating stools was a
sign of good health!)  Diarrhea, on the other hand, is watery.

Unfortunately steatorrhea, and its defintion, is unknown among the public at
large.  If everybody that had floating stools went to their doctor and
complained, our celiac condition would go from being "very rare" to being
the most common chronic gastroenterological condition (which it is).

How do we change this?  I think the gastroenterology profession should start
a public awareness campaign.  If the campaign defines steatorrhea and says
see your GI if you have it, the profession will gain increased awareness and
business.