From:
"N. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 14:34:46 -0600

Most of us with celiac disease function well so long as we stick to our
diets and aren't betrayed by hidden glutens, and we probably don't think
of ourselves as disabled.  Nor should we. However, there are contexts in
which applying that label to ourselves AS A WAY OF COMMUNICATING WITH
INSTITUTIONS can be useful.

The Americans with Disabilities ACT (ADA) was written to help people who,
because of their disabilities, need special accommodations in order to
engage in work and activities of daily living.  The act gives disabled
people the right to request "reasonable accommodations" as needed to do
their jobs, travel, and so on.  Eating is about as basic an activity of
daily living as one can imagine, and my understanding is that we are
covered under the ADA, although the vast majority of bureaucrats probably
aren't aware of our hidden disability.

Why should we care?  One reason is that we can use the ADA as a mechanism
for educating our employers and others about celiac disease.  Every
little bit of increase in public awareness helps.  Perhaps your employer
does an annual survey to identify employees with disabilities and inquire
about special accommodations that they may need.  Why not identify
yourself and indicate, as I have, that you have no trouble doing your
job, but that it would be nice if refreshment trays at office functions
included a fruit or vegetable platter?.  When you are invited
to a brown bag or catered work lunch, it might be easiest just to pack
your own GF food, but why not try requesting items you can eat?  Every
time you do this, you make it easier for the next person with a similar
request.

I have found that saying "I have a disability and require some special
accommodation in banquet meals" works well when I call ahead to
convention hotels or other places where I am going to be trapped in a
business meeting for several days.  I suspect that the phrase works because
the people at hotels and restaurants are alerted to treat it as important if
they want to avoid legal problems.  After identifying my problem and finding
out who is in charge of the relevant food services, I send a letter with
a list of forbidden foods and some suggestions about what I CAN eat,
usually including at least one lunch and one dinner menu.  Typically, I
get the suggested meal--usually a fruit and cheese plate for lunch, which
I eat with my own bread and crackers, and a grilled chicken breast, baked
potato with real butter, and steamed vegetable at dinner, sometimes
several days in a row.  Not exciting, but it beats starvation!

Now, if someone could get the airlines to serve gluten-free meals in
which all the ingredients were listed for the "special" part are listed
so we could check and use our personal standards, and
gluten-containing rolls, etc. are NOT on the tray!

With best wishes for a healthy 1995.  Nancy Jackson