From:
"N. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 08:31:20 -0600

Recent discussions here about sources of GF vitamins and medications
suggest that others of you might be interested in a guide to gluten-free
prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and cosmetics that I
have been using for several years.

An orthodox Jewish organization, Kollel-Los Angeles, distributes a
document called "A Passover Guide to Cosmetics and Medications."  Their
telephone number is (213) 933 -7193, and their address is 7466 Bevewrly
Blvd. #204, Los Angeles CA 90036.  I called to request the guide several
years ago, and they sent me a copy free of charge, enclosing an envelope
in which I returned a modest contribution to their organization.  They
automatically send me annual updates.

This guide is useful to celiacs because some extremely orthodox Jews make
sure that they have nothing in their homes during Passover that contains
"chometz," that is, anything derived from wheat, barley, oats, rye, or
spelt.  Products derived from corn, "kitniyos," are treated somewhat less
restrictively.  The guide is quite comprehensive and updated every year.
Freeda Laboratories, mentioned here previously as a source of vitamins,
is given special attention.

Every prescription medicine I've ever heard of seems to be
listed as either chometz (gluten) free or NOT, and I use the guide as a
second opinion to back up my pharmacist's checks.  Over-the-counter
medications and cosmetics are not listed so exhaustively, but enough are
named for the guide to be very useful in identifying safe brands of
lipstick, mouthwash, suntan lotion, and so on.  The list apparently is
established by questioning manufacturers, so it probably is about as
accurate as something we might get from one of our own organizations.  I
learned about it as a result of an inquiry to Revlon.

Although items listed as "kosher for Passover" is this guide ARE gluten
free, be aware that many items so marked are not.  For example, "passover
flour" in products such as matzo may contain wheat, because not all Jews
are as strict about what they avoid during Passover as those served by
Kollel.

Six different Pediacare cold and allergy products are listed as chometz free.

L'Chaim!  Nancy Jackson