From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 00:58:22 -0400

Scott Adams posted the following (as an attachment) on May 2, 1995:

The following is a message to me from my Mom regarding plant enzymes and CD.
We are both currently on a GF diet. I am diagnosed, she is not, but is
definitely a celiac. Does anyone know if these enzymes offer relief and the
ability to eat gluten?

>I talked to the nutritionist in Phoenix yesterday.  You remember
>she is the one who diagnosed the absorbtion problem I was
>having, but she didn't know the cause, which ended up being the
>wheat allergy.  She told me that I will always need to take plant
>enzymes for the wheat allergy and for lactose intollerance...... She
>said to take plant enzymes containing lactase, sucrase and
>especially maltase (WHICH BREAKS DOWN GRAINS).   The one
>she had prescribed for me was NESS formula #21.  She maintains
>that by taking these enzymes you diet won't be as limited........She
>also recommended taking a product called  Natural Bile for grain
>allergy........and for dairy allergy..........she also gave me the
>names of some vitamin supplements that are save to take..........if
>your're interested, I can give you the names of these...........

Scott,

Would you trust someone who (1) "didn't know the cause", and (2) doesn't
seem to know the difference between an allergy (which produces histamine
reactions) and a food intolerance which doesn't?

Don Wiss
New York