From:
Joe Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 20:59:50 PDT

Taylor Cushmore writes:

>Can anyone assist me with past experiences or current advice? I am about to
>undergo dental surgery and the surgeon is not familiar with celiac disease.

You need a crash course in Pharmacology:-(  My technique which worked very
well for Mary Alice was to always insist on name brands and get the PPI
(Patient Package Insert) furnished by the pharmaceutical mfgr.  Generics can
seldom chase down the excepients and "inert" ingredients.  I spent time on
the phone to the mfgr to verify that the PPI reflected ALL that was in the
preparation; there are things like coatings that can be hidden until you
probe deeply.  If you are only going to take a med once or twice, you
probably don't need to worry about the pharmaceutical coating but if it is to
be taken daily for a long period, don't take a chance.  Most pharmacies have
access to MedLine which is a good source of drug information.  The PDR since
about 1993 has also been a good source of info.  Be patient but assertive!
It took me a whole day to track down and verify a gluten free digoxen while
at the University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Clinic.  Most pharmacists are
very understanding and cooperative, once you make them understand that any
protein from wheat, oats, rye, or barley is toxic to your system.

Good Luck
Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL 32796-3902