From:
Joe Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 11:39:50 PDT

Bill Elkus shared his gluten testing results and solicited comments from
others.  Here are mine.

I used the same kit Bill used but with very disturbing results! In all
fairness, my results may have been caused because I did not PROPERLY follow
the test kit instructions.

Item 1.  I tested a can of soup whose ingredients indicated it was GF.  The
results were totally clear indicating no gluten.

Item 2.  I tested the wheat starch in the kit and got a very pale blue
indication that agreed with the test color standard in the kit.

Item 3.  I tested some EnerG rice flour.  I got a pale blue much darker than
the wheat starch standard indicating the presence of gluten.

Item 4.  I tested some apple cider vinegar.  I got a vivid blue indicating
the presence of gluten.

Item 5.  I went outside and picked a fresh lemon from a tree and tested the
juice.  I got a vivid blue indicating the presence of gluten (which is total
nonsence!).

Item 6.  I tested a piece of grocery store balloon bread and got a vivid blue
indicating the presence of gluten.

I contacted the kit manufacturer in Australia and was told (after almost a
year of non-response) that the very acetic nature of vinegar and lemon juice
was the culprit; the monoclonal antibodies got confused and would not react
properly.  Medical Innovations Ltd. sent me a new test kit and suggested I
not test highly acetic foods.

By this time, my faith in the basic process of monoclonal antibodies for
gluten testing was destroyed.  I had gotten positive tests where gluten was
not present, positive tests where gluten was present, and negative tests
where gluten PROBABLY was not present.  I never got a negative result where
gluten was known to be present.

Shortly after receiving the replacement test kit, Mary Alice was diagnosed
with lung cancer and our world became totally topsy-turvy.  As many of you
know, she died from the lung cancer last January so I donated the remainder
of the kit to GIGofFlorida.  Mike Jones may have more info to add.

Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL 32796-3902