VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:09:34 -0500
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your great comments!
I will say once again, as I've always said, and I will keep saying it,
and I hope more people will say it as well.
A sighted person buys a windows computer, brings it home, gets it up and
running, and they can read a screen *FOR FREE*!
A blind person, buys a windows computer, brings it home, and has to buy
a screen reader, and has to download and install it, or, get the dvd,
and install it. This, is, immoral.
Even NVDA wants you to pay money, that's crap, too.
Until we can read the screen on a windows computer for free, just like a
sighted person doesn't have to pay to read the screen, we are still, at
a disadvantage.
Has there been progress with Narrator? Certainly, but not enough.
Harry

On 12/12/2016 7:25 PM, Bill Pasco wrote:
> Yep, that has always been JAWS' position. However, it doesn't explain
> how companies like Serotek and NV Access keep sending out upgrades and
> updates without charging additional money for System Access, or NVDA.
> They are not Microsoft either, but they have a more moral approach. I
> could see paying small upgrade fees for major updates, but this policy
> of paying $1,100  up front, then several hundred dollars every single
> year to update is solely based on the fact that they have lots of
> government contracts who don't mind paying it. Though it is an
> advanced screen reader, it isn't perfect. It is bloated, sometimes
> over complicated, and deffinitely over priced. When they were a tiny
> start up as Henter Joyce, I could see how they had to charge a lot.
> But, though they are not Microsoft, they are not small either. They
> have 70 percent of the world screen reader market and are plenty big
> enough to charge a reasonable fee. And, for the record, the blind
> screen reader market is not all that small. That is a red herring.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]