VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2017 19:46:24 -0800
Hi all,

Here's a YouTube video on the Blitab, a smart tablet that is also a
multi-line braille display. It's being featured at CES 2017. The video
doesn't say, but I think I read somewhere else that it's close to a full
braille page in size. The video does say that it'll cost about five
hundred dollars. What's a little confusing to me is what operating
system is being used. During the demonstration, the presenter keeps
referring to Voiceover, but during the Q-and-A, he says it runs on
Android, which makes more sense in terms of licensing. The TTS is not
loud enough for me to be sure.

After the demo, judges talk about the product's pros and cons. There
discussion is interesting because it assumes that things like Google
Home and Amazon Echo can take the place of braille. In other words, they
seem to think of scenarios that don't involve school or work.

If anyone handles one, please let us know. I visited the website, but
the preorder link only opens up a contact form.

Here's the CES video on the Blitab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3ZP5ze5jU

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at