From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:35:02 -0500
To give everyone an update, as you know from my previous posts, my firm,
Millitronics, Inc., was heavily invested in the cellphone repeater and
related accessory market. We were focusing on geographic areas with very
poor cellphone service. We provided cellphone repeaters, antennas, and other
accessories that substantially increased cellphone reception and
connectivity. Our target markets included both residential and commercial
accounts. We were extremely successful in developing that business. What I
didn't realize is that some of the major players in the industry were
watching us very closely, letting us test the feasibility of developing
these kinds of underserved market areas. When we proved the workability of
our marketing plan and methodology, one of the majors stepped in and made us
an offer we really couldn't refuse. Consequently, we sold out that business
with two provisos: 1. We would maintain the Millitronics, Inc. corporate
name, and 2. We agreed to a limited covenants not to compete. Unfortunately,
we had to let some people go that were working for us, all of whom had some
kind of disability, including one blind lady that was doing a super job for
us in setting up appointments, dispatching our service technicians, etc.

Now, we are exploring numerous options for re-investing some of our capital
gains from the sale of our cellphone repeater business. This includes
developing and producing a limited line of products for blind and low-vision
people, initially focusing on ham radio applications and solutions, such as
a talking SWR meter/power meter, and antenna analyzer. We have several
working prototypes we are testing. However, to be right up front about it,
the problem is that blind people make up a relatively small market segment,
but then, when you further subdivide that small market down to blind hams,
we end up with a very, very small segment. It is difficult to procure parts
in such small quantities to achieve component prices inexpensively enough to
allow profitable production and marketing of devices to meet the needs of
this tiny market. This is the same problem all firms face that try to serve
the needs of blind and low-vision people. We complain about the high cost of
products that are made for our use, but this is precisely the reason. Unless
you are on the business side of this issue, you cannot possibly comprehend
the challenge. As a business consultant, I consult with companies that work
to reduce their costs by pennies or even fractions of pennies because in
mass production, those savings add up to making a product feasible or
infeasible to produce profitably.

Therefore, I would like each of you to post back to me directly, not through
this blind hams' list, but to me directly at

and answer these two major questions:

1. If a talking SWR/Power meter were available, would you be likely to
purchase it, and if so, what is the maximum you would be willing to pay for
it?

2. If a talking antenna analyzer were available, would you be likely to
purchase it, and if so, what is the maximum you would be willing to pay for
such a device?

3.	What other device would you be interested in purchasing if it were
available that would be useful in your ham shack?

Again, post back directly to me at [log in to unmask] with your answers.

Ron, K8HSY