From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 16:23:48 -0500
Joe, the meters refers to the wave length, which is inversely proportional
to the frequency.  The conversion factor, at least in free space, is the
speed of light.  The speed of light equals the frequency times the wave
length, which makes all kinds of sense if you think about it.  So that's why
the antennas get longer as the frequency goes down.

When I said 10 meters and down, I was talking about the frequency, so I
should have really said 30 MHZ and down.  The ham bands are usually given in
terms of the wave length, which is just an approximation.  For example, 20
meters is really 15 mhz, not 14, since the speed of light is roughly
300,000,000 meters per second.
--
Jim, KE5AL