VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2014 08:22:05 -0400
Our next meeting of the Philadelphia computer Users' Group for the blind
and Visually Impaired will take place on Friday, October 24 from
8:00-10:00 PM Eastern time.  People outside of Philadelphia are more
than welcome to call.  October 31 is a holiday for many of us and also
coincides with a local ACB state convention.
There are several topics which I expect will come up.  First, as of the
time of this writing Freedom Scientific has released the second beta of
JAWS 16.  It is possible that version 16 may be out by the time of our
meeting.  I'm curious to know if any of you have used this latest
version and what you think about it.  Of note, JAWS 16 will be able to
recognize PDF documents which are scanned images as well as containing a
search engine to locate keystrokes for many JAWS commands.  If you're a
JAWS user, will you be upgrading to version 16?  Have you tried any of
the new features?
Also, Humanware has released version 4.4 of the next-generation victor
Stream.  This version allows you to download books from the BARD
service, as well as podcasts.  Have you tried this new version on your
Stream?  How do you like it?
Finally, I'd like to continue the conversation begun by Lisa Salinger
during last month's meeting about the pros and cons of iOS 8.  While
this operating system contains many new features, it seems to be equally
rich when it comes to bugs.  What issues have you encountered and what
workarounds have you used to get around them?
To participate, call (712) 432-3900.  When prompted for your access
code, enter 391477, followed by the pound key.  I look forward to
talking with all of you.

--

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
To learn more about the users' group, visit
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/updated-faqphiladelphia-computer-users-group-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]