VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2014 11:59:10 -0500
At first glance, this post might seem completely irrelevant to this list
or to blindness computer user groups.  However, one of the items that
the document Foundation mentions is accessibility, which appears as the
fifth item on their list of topics.  I've been doing a lot of testing
with TDF's LibreOffice suite with the current crop of Windows screen
readers, including Window-eyes, JAWS and NVDA. Sorry, I haven't tested
it with Mac's voiceover yet but I plan to do so shortly.
for those who aren't familiar with this package, LibreOffice is a free,
open-source office suite, based on the code of OpenOffice. It's produced
by the Document foundation and you can learn more about it, as well as
download it, at
www.libreoffice.org
It uses a classic, old-school menu bar and TDF is slowly implementing
accessibility, as is apache with OpenOffice.  I don't feel that this
program is quite ready for prime-time use by blind computer users at
this time, but I think the day is coming when any blind person will have
a free and accessible alternative to Microsoft Office with accessibility
with their particular screen reader of choice.  Btw, I have nothing
against Microsoft Office. It's a capable and powerful collection of
programs and many of the suite's packages work amazingly well with
today's screen readers. Of course, Office 2010 or 2013 users get the
added benefit of being able to use GW Micro's window-eyes screen reader
at no cost. However, not all computers ship with Office installed and
for some consumers it's an added and, for some, an inconvenient
expense.  You can read more about how to submit your info for a talk at
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2014/03/05/libreoffice-conference-2014-call-for-paper/
Unlike Microsoft Office, LibreOffice receives regular updates and users
can submit bugs into TDF's bug tracking system.

--
Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile at
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]