From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 16:20:45 -0500
So true, Ron.  I use the noise reduction very often, especially on cw.
Sometimes I like NR1, and sometimes I like NR2.  Also, the noise blanker is
done well.  It doesn't distort the received signal as much as others I've
used.  Yesterday on the blind hams net, I had occasion to use the beat
cancellation to good effect.  That along with the notch functions is well
worth it, especially on SSB.  The RIT is great too, although I find the
TS-590 RIT/XIT adjustment too sensative.  You just bump that little knob and
it moves.

My JJRadio software makes it easy to use many of those functions without
even having to remember where the controls are on the rig.  I've added more
TS-590 controls to it, and also added a menu that makes it fast and easy to
jump right to the control you want to set or monitor.

If you have a TS-2000, you might want to get familiar with that sub-receiver
for VHF/UHF.  It's neat to be able to monitor a repeater with the
sub-receiver while on HF.  You might even be able to scan repeater
frequencies with that sub-receiver; I don't know.  I have one here, maybe
I'll check it out.
--
Jim, KE5AL