From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:42:13 -0400
Hi, all.

Well, I've made some more progress in sending CW via the computer keyboard
with the N3FJP AC logging software.

I have now succeeded in accessing the CW keyboard sending function, and in
making the N3FJP AC log software send my specially-created function key CW
strings.

But, I have noticed what I feel are two major problems.

One is that this can only be done in CW mode on the TS590, which means that
I'm transmitting no matter what I do.  In other words, I can't do much
testing of the CW sending function itself to determine what I'm most
comfortable with, since anything I send gets transmitted over the air.  The
strange thing is that in Scott's other contest logging programs, I can put
the TS590 in USB or LSB mode, and still have the side tone to use for
testing purposes without transmitting.

This, to me, is a major disappointment.

The other problem I found is that, of course, whenever I type characters to
be sent on the keyboard, Jaws speaks those keys, which makes for a bit of
unnecessary QRM in the shack.  I had thought of turning Jaws off, but that
would make it difficult to enter data into A C Log, for any CW keyboard qsos
I might have.

I appreciate everyone's putting up with my various e-mails on this topic.  I
hope they will be at least somewhat informative for anyone else who might be
interested in trying CW via the keyboard.  Obviously, I'm going to have to
decide whether the problems I note here can be solved, or whether I might
want to try another method for this mode of operation.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ