VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:15:34 -0700
I fear my comments were misunderstood to some extent. For the record:
1. I use Braille and love Braille. However, I'm not in favor of the
continual push to make Braille obsolete by sighted tech developers and
blind people who do not use Braille.
2. Electronic / refreshable Braille is a major step forward as it makes
something portable which is inherently bulky and not very portable. That
said, the cost of refreshable Braille is, and has always been, too high.
Even so, I use almost exclusively refreshable Braille.
3. I was a user of the Optacon from nearly its introduction. I loved the
device and was very sorry when it left the market. It silently did things
no speech output device can duplicate. But, alas it's gone. My statement
this reminded me of the optacon was not a negative, just a note. I must
say though that any of us who used the optacon know how fussy it could be
to get lined up on complex text pages. It was remarkably useful though on
digital display readouts like a timer or other appliance.
4. I would never tell another person that their preference for a
particular technology was dumb. I've marched against the stream myself too
often to do that. Different strokes for different folks. This just seems
to me like another well-meaning device developed by people who don't live
blindness. That said, Terri's comments are certainly valid, and I could
see that use.

Happy Friday all!
Bill