From:
Zach Shifflett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 02:05:17 -0400
Hi all.
Still haven't gotten my license yet, but it should be coming in some
time this week.
I just received my radio in the mail, though.  It's a baofeng uv5r
duel band handheld.
I'm taking an extended road trip in a few days, and assuming my
license is in by that point, I want to work some repeaters up and down
the east coast as we travel.
I plan on replacing the standard rubber duck with a mag mount for the
roof of our car, and am looking for some advice.
I'd like one that I can use with relatively little hastle on both the
2 m and 70 cm bands, though if I would be better off using a single
band antenna, I'd rather work 2m.
I've read a lot of stuff online about tuning, and how much tuning is
necessary for these antennas.  Is there a duel band I could use
without tuning?  If not, could I get a single band to operate on 2m?
If I do end up having to tune the antenna, what's the best way to
accomplish this?  Is there a talking swr meter out there somewhere?
I know I'll need to tune antennas in the future, especially for dxing
and hf work, but as a total newbie, I'd kind of just like to get on
the air for a little while before I have to spend a lot of money on
talking tuners and taking my radio apart.
Thanks for any advice!
Zach