From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 01:55:21 -0600
larsen antennas are primarily made for commercial/industrial aplications, so
their built very very well.
They happen to make some amateur band antennas as wel and as you know Jim,
they last a really long time with little maintinence required.
Not like some other types which need to be taken apart every year or two and
cleaned and de rusted and fiddled with to keep working.
I've got a 3 inch larsen NMO mag mount that has been going for 13 years now
without a hitch.
My MFJ quarter wave mag mount has had to be totally rebuilt twice now due to
rust, corosion and generally cheap crappy metal parts...of course, it was a
20 dollar antenna and the larsen mag mount alone cost me 40 bucks back then.
As I've said before, with ham radio stuff, the more you pay, the better it
is...that's a rule of thumb it seems.  Though obviously the baofeng radios
have kind of put that rule of thumb to the ultimate test haven't they.
73
Colin, V A6BKX