From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 22:03:35 -0400
Tom,

I'm using an old 12-inch speaker of unknown origin that was given to me back
in the early '70s.  I've used it with every rig I've owned, from my Heath
SB-303 to a Kenwood TS-830, my Icom 751A, my TS-480, my TS-2000, and now my
TS-590, all with excellent results.  With the TS-2000 and TS-590, I used the
software to tweak the equalization to boost low bass for AM fidelity, and
decrease the mids a bit to get rid of some harshness, but it was more
because I could than because I really needed to.

Speakers, like headphones, are a matter of taste, and you can ask ten
different people and get a different answer from each one.  Personally, I
don't see much advantage to powered speakers unless they have filters that
you absolutely can't live without.  Mostly, they're a good way to detect RF,
which you really don't want to do, and they'll probably cost more money than
you want to spend.  My advice is to go to a few ham fests and flee markets
and look around for some large speakers at the price you want to pay.  When
you find one that looks good, take it home, hook it up, and enjoy.

Steve