From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 06:29:14 -0400
I'm kind of late on this, and you may already know this, but anyway:

Windows 7 can be a royal pain in how it handles sound devices.      Type:

manage audio devices

in the windows search box.

Depending on what you are trying to do, go to either the recording or
playback tab.   Under each one, you will find a list of devices on the
pc.  Arrow down the list and you will  see that anything that has
something plugged in will say "ready" and  if nothing is plugged in, it
will say "not plugged in".

After you select a device, tab down a few times and you can change
things like levels.

One device is going to be labled "default".   Perhaps the software you
are using is set to only use the default device.  You may be able to go
into the software and tell it  which device to use.  Be sure something
is plugged into that device so it will be recognized.  You can also
change  the default device in Windows audio devices, but think this
through first, since  it may have unintended  results on  other software.

If this is no help to you, chalk it up to an  early morning.

73, Steve KW3A