From:
"Jose Tamayo (KK4JZX)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:52:52 -0400
Hi,

Sometimes, depending on configuration, things can go differently.  You have
been one of the lucky ones to get it working the first time.  I have heard
lots of reports to the contrary and I have become part of the group that has
had lots of issues <smile>.

Now, on to my report.  I gfinally got the UV-3R software communicating with
the radio.  Even after re-installing the software, I was not able to
communicate with the radio  using the programming cable.  I even tried COM7
but without luck.  I went back to COM2 and it still did not communicate.
Here is what I did which I find odd:

I went to device manager and disabled  the Prolific hardware device and
re-enabled enabled it.  It worked.  I am now able to read the radio but I am
back to the situation I was when I  first got started.  I will be testing
reading from and writing to the radio today.

Question:  Does anyone here know of a guide to programming the serial port
for these radios?  I know that CHIRP has support for this radio but CHIRP is
not accessible and the developer  told me he had no time to address every
minority need <smile>.  Thus, I am stuck writing my own patches which would
make CHIRP aaccessible but I am working on a project right now for Handiham
that will keep me away from that type of development at least for the next
few months.

73,
Jose - KK4JZX