From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 13:34:06 -0500
	This is a long URL so be sure and get it all.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/05/1859s-great-auroral-stormthe-week-the-sun-touched-the-earth/

I've heard other references to this event so it is not just
exaggerated hype. The only electrical technology used in 1859 was
the telegraph so nobody had electric wires going in to their
houses for lighting or any other use.

	I can only imagine what radio conditions would have been
like on that day had there been people and equipment to use the
radio frequencies. Any, enjoy.