From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:09:07 -0500
	The Solar flux is way down again but Sporadic E can pop
up any time this time of year so whether ten will open up during
Field Day is impossible to answer for sure, but don't count it
out either.

	We are in the prime Sporadic E season which is centered
around the Summer Solstice, from around May 1 until August 1 so
ten could be dead as a door nail all weekend or we could have E
sub S all the way up to 220 MHZ, not likely, but we can always
hope.

	I once remember a Summer afternoon in the mid eighties
in which there was Sporadic E all the way up to TV Channel 13
with so many signals on each frequency that it was all just so
much noise. This went on for several hours and then it all died
out.

	Just heed the Boy Scout Motto and be prepared on Field
Day Weekend as it could happen at any time.

	As someone already said, Listen to the beacon
frequencies on 6 and 10 and, if you can, listen on 55.24 through
55.26 MHZ which is the video carrier frequency for TV Channel 2.
If you hear video carriers, it is probably TV from Mexico but
most of the Latin American countries have not yet switched over
to digital TV so it could be anything. It will just tell you
that the sky is being good to you today and look for skip on the
amateur bands.

martin WB5AGZ