From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 17:58:19 -0400
Trippy,

I think I get why they call you Trippy, because, like, you're way, way out there man.

First of all, this isn't ham radio, it's an Email list. Fortunately, we don't have to ID every 10 minutes on Email lists, or anything else like that. If anything, we should use the "lingo" of Internet culture, since this is the Internet. But all of that is pretty moot anyhow.

As for we should "talk the ham radio lingo" and "people who don't should be confronted", jeez, I dunno, but I think you're in a different hobby than I am.

The only thing incumbent upon hams is that we follow the rules set forth for us by our governing boies and international law. That's it. It is also incumbent upon us to comport ourselves in civil fashion, especially if we want kids to get involved. If anything, we should probably avoid as much jargon as possible, although some of it is just culture. Jargon for its own sake is just silly and pretentious. Basically, we follow country specific and international regulations an we don't act like assholes. That's pretty much the deal.

That's all.

It is not your place, or for that matter, anyone else's, to correct someone on the air for what you perceive to be operating deficiencies.

But here's the biggest thing.

Ham radio's supposed to be fun. Remember that? Fun? It's, like, what you're supposed to do with a hobby. Have fun. If it isn't fun, then stop doing it. Yes, we need to not be assholes on the air. Yes, we need to conduct ourselves with a certain amount of decorum, so that we present our hobby as one that's friendly and welcoming to all kinds of people, young and old. But once it becomes so rigid that a "73's" is a hanging offense, it isn't fun anymore.

Sheesh. I never hear this kind of stuff on the cw bands. I think I'll stay there.

73rd's, and over and out,
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY