From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:24:25 -0400
Hi all,
Since we've been talking about different ham radio lingo, etc.
I wanted to go another direction, and I want to know what you all think.
As you know, riley Hollingsworth, who was known for this cracking down on rule violaters on the air, isn't doing that any more, since he retired.
I remember the day when I read that, and I thought to myself, "what will we hams do now?"
Then, I read an article, that gave me the answer.
I don't remember where it was, whether in QST, or where it was, but it said something like this, "We hams will have to police the hobby, as the FCC won't have the resources to do it in the future."
I strongly agree with this article.
This is our hobby, and the FCC does indeed, not have the resources, and budget cuts will probably make this situation even worse.
So, how should we police ourselves on the air?
As a matter of fact, I heard about one way it was done, and I think it's pretty cool.
A local ham friend of myne was talking to a 4th call area station down in Georgia, and they were having a real enjoyable QSO, and all the sudden, my friend heard this big bang, noise. Another ham grabbed the microphone, and said "this station, ...., is a boot leg station, and will now be taken off the air."
My ham friend never heard this boot legger station again!
He said to me, "Trippy, I loved it, absolutely loved it, the hams in that community took matters into their own hands!"
So, what do you all think about this issue?
Trippy, ac8s