From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:02:24 -0500
And after the fight, you may have lots of flies and still no
job. I challenge someone to name one major societal change that
helps us which resulted from a law suit. I get just as mad as
the next person about the fact that the ADA did very little
about information technology even though that would have been
much easier to fix than bricks and mortar which it actually did
do a lot of good in.

	The older I get, the more amazed I get about unintended
consequences. If any of you get a chance, read the Freaconomics
books which talk about the economic factors that influence human
behavior and you will have an appreciation for what I am talking
about here.

	We may, for example, never get anywhere asking for
amateur radio gear that talks to us, but gear with USB or RS-232
serial ports that allow for complete remote control would be
just as useful in that they have a door open for us to access
their controls and displays by whatever access device we like to
use.

	There is a project in the works called Raspberry Pie
which is a very cheap Linux-based computer that may possibly
give us very cheap speech access to anything you can connect a
computer to.

	I would be thrilled to have a fifty-Dollar portable
computer in a back pack that could program a hand-held
transceiver or base rig. That's almost as good as having it talk
to me right out of the box.

	Personally, I don't care that much for Raspberry
flavoring, but if this project flies, they can call it any name
they like.