From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:12:12 -0500
Folks, here it is.  The official announcement for a new kit category at the
QRPARCI buildathon at the "four days in may" qrp gathering this year.

Hope this spurs some good ideas and activity.  This is our chance to get
into the home brew side of things.  Especially those of us not old enough
for Bob Gundersen's wonderful work.
Announcement follows.

ANNOUNCING THE QRP ARCI ACCESSIBILITY CHALLENGE

One of the positive aspects about amateur radio is that it is accessible to
many regardless of physical abilities or disabilities.  Our club has members
that have many different disabilities, but it does not prevent them from
engaging in our hobby.  In an attempt to make things more accessible, the
club
has made the QRP Quarterly available in a screen readable format for our
visually impaired members.  This permits them to receive and read the QQ
independently.

Many of us enjoy building.  There is a thrill in using a piece of equipment
made with your own hands.  Many believe it possible that our members could
create a kit that could be built by our visually impaired members.  This is
the
QRP ARCI Accessibility Challenge.  It will be a special category in the FDIM
2012 building contest.  The goals and rules for this are as follows:

1. Choose an equipment design that is a functional addition to the
station. Obviously a xcvr would be great, but station accessories are good
targets as well.

2. The equipment would be offered as a kit that can be built by visually
impaired/blind hams, but would be fun for sighted amateurs as well.

3. The kit can be developed by an individual or a team.

4. A completed kit (built by a visually impaired individual) and an
unbuilt kit must be available at FDIM 2012 for evaluation.

5. At least one member of the development team must be present at FDIM
2012 to answer questions from those evaluating the entry.

6. Judging will be by a team of three judges (at least one must be
visually impaired).

Let's see what this brings out.