VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:16:55 -0700
Ana and all:
I've noticed the same thing with the latest JFW 13 update--I hope that bug is fixed in JAWS 14.

In the meantime, what I usually do with a protected file now is press alt+f (file), then move my right arrow over one, my down arrow down one, and then press enter. I have a braille display on my system so even if JFW doesn't speak these commands, the braille is continuing to follow, and I am able to switch over to an editing view without any difficulties.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Ana G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out whether the problem I'm having is a Jaws 13
problem, a Windows 7 problem, a Word 2010 problem, or a problem
connected with one of my computer planets being retrograde.

I collect homework by email. some of my students send their assignments
to me in protected view. This means I can't modify the file.

Until recently, Jaws read these files okay. If I used the say-all
command, the file would read from beginning to end, but if I read the
document paragraph by paragraph, Jaws read each paragraph twice.

Lately, however, this works about half  the time. The rest of the time,
Jaws either doesn't read the file at all or reads it after a significant
pause (a minute or two after the file has been loaded.

If I try to take the file out of protected view (by hitting f12 to save
it), Word sometimes gives me the option of enabling edits, but other
times, it just freezes. When Word freezes, I have to restart the
computer, and I generally find that my Normal template has been
corrupted, so I need to delete it and restart Word, a process which
involves another reboot because even when I close Word, the computer
thinks the normal template is in use.

Obviously, one solution is to tell my students not to protect their
documents, but I'd also like to figure out what is happening and why.
Any thoughts?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]