From:
Mike Cozzolino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 01:23:09 -0800
hello tom, please do not start cutting your coax, when you have a
true flat line meaning an feed line that has no swr, you can lengthen
or shorten and the swr reading will be the same.  but when you have a
feed line that has a swr on it, then changing the length will change
the swr.  that is to say even with a feed line with a 10:1 swr some
where that line you will find a point where the voltage and current
balance and the line will look flat even though it is far from the
truth.  the only place to get a true swr reading is at the feed point
and you can get a very close reading going through a electrical half
wave length of cable or multiples of the half wave.  when you go
through the coax even though it is an electrical half wave you still
have to take in to account the losses in the coax.  granted 100 feet
is nothing on 160m, so a reading through the coax is excepted as the
same as if you had the swr bridge at the feed point.  so enough about
your swr and should you cut it or not, the subject is beat to
death.  for an experiment, try adding a additional piece of coax to
your feed line, and watch your swr change maybe better or
worse.  also be careful that a high swr can damage the auto tuner on
your radio, even though it tunes it the rf is not all going out to
the antenna and if to much stays in the tuner you could damage the
unit.  just a word to the wise.  take care, c u 73 mike w6quv