From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2011 05:04:53 -0700
You're likely to get mixed results using standard network cables on
something using six conductors even if the RJ-45 connectors fit.  The
reason why should be obvious to a ham: Inside the cat-5 cable are
twisted pairs which provide balanced transmission lines for the 8
conductors (actually only 4 of them got used until the era of
gigabit ethernet, but that's another story!)  In order to be able to
use cat-5 to control any radio not wired for 8 conductor ethernet
cables, you're going to need to connect the pairs appropriately.

If ethernet has wire pairs A, B, C, and D, with wire 1 being striped
and wire 2 being solid, you get wiring like this:

1: A1
2: A2
3: B1
4: C2
5: C1
6: B2
7: D1
8: D2

Electrically, it doesn't matter which pair is which, or which wire is
solid or striped so long as you match the wires on both ends with
your continuity tester!  But there is a color standard, which we'll
ignore for the sake of argument.  Pairs C and D are completely unused
by 100Mbit ethernet, so you occasionally see power lines run that
way, but I wouldn't suggest it on gigabit lines!  *grin*

Probably something using six conductors will take an RJ-45 connector,
but will tend to only use the middle six contacts.  It's easy to see
then that whatever signal happens to be passed on lines 2 and 7,
using a regular ethernet cable, would be unbalanced.

Two likely possible wirings:

1: NC
2: A1
3: A2
4: B1
5: B2
6: C1
7: C2
8: NC

or more likely perhaps:

1: NC
2: A2
3: B1
4: C2
5: C1
6: B2
7: A1
8: NC

This is assuming straight connection.  Don't assume that!  Somewhere
I had a brilliant little old-school phone wall plate that broke out
an RJ-45 connector to 8 screw terminals.  Today, you'll find people
mostly use keystone jacks and a punchdown tool, simply because doing
so untwists very little wire, which helps avoid unbalancing your
balanced lines!  Remember, we're talking at least 100Mbit/sec here,
which means those twisted pairs are carrying VHF signals.  Moreover,
the signals are bidirectional!

If you can find out your radio's control head pinout, it'd be much
easier to wire a cable's pairs appropriately.  You'd be surprised how
well a twisted pair of wires eliminates the need for a shield if you
have the right signals running in the right pairs.  If not, shielded
twisted pair does exist for industrial environments.

Joseph