From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 04:48:07 -0700
Twisted pairs are likely to be useful for wiring a control head
further from the radio than the manufacturer-supplied cable, for the
same reason we use them for other forms of data transfer.

I've used twisted pair wiring in audio applications for ages—it's a
great way to eliminate interference.  Minimize ground loops directly
bonding equipment, and use twisted pairs for audio signals.

At all costs, I avoid the overpriced junk they sell at hi-fi shops!
Too many dissimilar metals, shields about as effective a piece of
tissue paper, and silly notions like you can run 10 gauge wire into a
solid 22 gauge pin connector with about 1mm of contact with a little
spring clip and somehow improve the quality of your connection that
way.  And lets not even begin to discuss the low-melt-point plastics
they use and the cold solder joints you're going to wind up with to
avoid turning your connectors into puddles.

Though you've got a point about using RJ-12 connectors.  Most every
six conductor jack I've seen fits an RJ-45.  RJ-12 connectors might
be required if that's what the jack will take.  As you say, typically
RJ-12 cables are flat, but then so are typical RJ-11 cables between
your wall and telephone.  IN the wall, though, if your home was built
in the past 20 years, I'd guess you have at least six-strand cat-3
twisted pairs to resist interference better.

In the past decade or so, more often than not, eight strand cat-5
gets used by contractors, and even by telephone companies.  The phone
doesn't require cat-5, certainly, and few residential systems need
wiring for four lines!  It's just that today you can get spools of
one for the same price as the other, and if you need only carry one
spool of wire, it gives you more room in the van for other things.

I'm pleased to say my company was ahead of the curve on that one, but
today it's pretty much standard practice.

Joseph - KF7QZC