From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:43:30 -0600
they are essentially a clone of the yaesu VX3R.
Except they will do two watts output instead of 1.5, and they do not have
the wide band receiver that the yaesu rig does.
Also, due to poor design, they actually recommend you use separate antennas
for VHF and UHF bands because using a dual band antenna somehow reduces the
performance of the radio...none of the marketting info says that, but I
suspect that is why they come with two, mono band antennas instead of a
single dual band.
A friend just bought 5 of them with a programming cable.  I'll be able to
provide more info soon when I get my paws on one.
He got them for just under $50 canadian each which includes shipping.
They do not have a keypad on the front, so programming is done similar to
other micro HT's by setting the VFO.
So, you would select your megahertz, then kilohertz.  They are also,
obviously, software programmable, but I can't yet speak to the accessibility
of the programming software.
We intend to use them for a local area repeater and not for any long range
or for repeaters more than a few miles away.
Like I said, I'll provide a good run down on accessibility and work arounds
once I get ahold of one of my friends radios.

73
Colin, V A6BS