From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:02:53 -0500

Here are some specific comments and links I received:

You can also ask for the manager at any quick food place - they keep a book that lists all the ingredients of each dish so she can double check.

Disney really is the easiest place on earth to eat - we are just back from our 4th trip!  Hope she has fun.  She should check out the gf pizza at pizza planet in Disney Hollywood - yummy!!

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQDiningPage

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/guestServicesDetail?id=GuestServicesSpecialDietaryDetailPage

http://orlandoglutenfree.com/gluten-free-walt-disney-world/

She will be fine.  There are many counter service restaurants that serve GF - Disney should be able to give you a list of counter service restaurants.  The toughest spot is the international part of Epcot - we were there in April - only counter GF food was America.  When she stands in line - they will side line her and have a manager come over to handle.  The have GF burgers, dogs, some places have pizza, some chicken nuggets.  It will take her longer to get her food - she should get in line at the front if the group. Becareful - Disney will tell you that they have a dedicated fryer for nuggets & fries - but they recycle their oil.  So the oil used in the dedicated fryer was filtered from frying gluten food previously.  We didn't take the chance.  Not sure if others have tried.

If she goes to the liberty tavern market in frontier land she can order chicken tenders and fries! They are amazing but takes 25 mins to prepare.

I just travelled over Xmas and new years and I brought a cooler filled with food with me for the plane. I had no problems with it at all in security. I took it out of my carryon bag and opened it for them. You can only bring the solid freezer packs with you. They can't be like the mushy ones you got from the school nurse. If I hadn't of made my food I wouldn't have eaten all day. I would highly recommend that.

Airport suggestions:  bring snacks or brown bag safe foods. In an emergency, of course, she can look for coca cola, milk, Hershey chocolate bars, fresh fruits and vegies and Yoplait yoghurts in the concourses.

As far as at Disney, every restaurant and food spot (except the little carts) has GF offerings. Your child needs to tell the counterperson that she has a serious food allergy issue. They are trained to call the manager on duty to come out with a 3 ring binder, with the GF options available at that spot. They will then attend to your child's food in a manner safe for her condition. (you would need to check this, but I think the fried turkey legs offered in the park are GF, as well.)

If the person chaperoning her trip is informed of the child's special needs, then they can put your child to the front of the food line, whenever they stop. Then, she will have to wait for the manager on duty to bring out the binder. (Throughout the park, they serve ener-g bread tapioca bread rolls, which are GF.) If the chaperon knows of her issues and puts her at the front of the line, by the time the manager comes out and takes her special order and specially prepares her food, she should be able to be served about the time that the last kid in the group is served.

I think the Disney website has a map with gluten free indications at specific walk-up restaurants.  She just needs to speak to a manager at each restaurant and they can arrange hamburgers with GF buns, etc.  When we went, the managers oversaw the preparation and everything.  But, the places were mobbed!  ALWAYS!  Just ask any wandering employee - don't stand in line first - and stand & wait for a manager to come to her.

Most places have hamburgers, fries, chicken tenders, fruit, cookies/brownies, pizza, and salads.  They took good care of my needs, and I was able to relax and know that I was free from contamination.  I ate better there than at home!

It was by far the easiest place to eat that I've ever been to. They take it very seriously, but also try to ensure you can get something *anywhere* in the park. Even the little stands that are just standing around. However, if you go to one of the smaller places or a cart, it might take a few extra minutes. Generally, once you ask for the gluten free item (for instance,  a hot dog), they will call for the manager to come over (the manager usually oversees several cart areas, so it might take a few minutes for them to come, but they do try to get there as soon as they can). The manager is the supposed to make sure the employee gets everything right ala avoiding cross contamination and getting the gluten free bun instead of the not-safe regular one, etc. While I've definitely never felt safer eating out, it isn't exactly a place to eat if you don't want to feel a little conspicuous, but since thats largely due to the care they put into making sure its safe, I'm ok with that.

Definitely one of the safest places for her to try to eat, and she should be able to find something no matter where they go in the park, though some of the smaller places may have very limited options!

Please relax and rest assured that your daughter will be in good hands everywhere she goes, all she has to say is that she needs to eat gluten free and the employees of Disney know what to do.  Some places will need a few minutes for her to spend talking to their gluten free "person" so she may want to avoid the back of the lines so she can get her food at the same time as the rest of the group.  We had no problem eating gluten free, some food places just have fewer options than others and you can always order your food without the roll/bread etc.  She will have a fantastic eating experience where ever she decides to eat.  Disney is a magical place to eat!

Disney does allow you to bring food into the park.  We took advantage of this and put some in a backpack each day.  We also stayed in the cabins and had a full kitchen, so we did not eat breakfasts at Disney, and we did eat several sit-down meals but that info would not help your daughter.

However, I will say that Disney is just over the top in its willingness to assist, and we were very pleased with the GF options and treatment.

The airports are harder to find safe options at. When we travel by air, I pack snack meals from Go Picnic (www.gopicnic.com) and the new company gluten-free to go (www.gfreetogo.com). Most items in each meal kit are small enough to get through security. Some items from Go Picnic are now available on amazon.com.

They cook fries in dedicated fryers, or bake them.  They have allergy free chicken tenders almost everywhere, along with gf brownies or cookies.  If she can do hotdos or hamburgs, most places have gf buns. We have good success at Columbia house in the MK, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, and the Electric Umbrella at Epcot.  I have heard that Casies at the MK is real good, along with the Flame Tree in AK.  MGM we have never had too much success at, although I have heard that the pizza at Pizza Planet is good.  The turkey legs that are available in all the parks are gf.  They also have lots of options if you need dairy free also.  The food courts at all the hotels do a great job.  We had real good success at Port Orleans and Carribean Beach for breakfast.  I have heard that Pop Century is good, but don't know for a fact.

I really wish the rest of the world was as easy to eat at as Disney.  One of his favorite snacks was the GF brownies that are available just about everywhere in the park and hotels.  The only problem we had was late at night some of the quick service counters in the parks use the same oil for the fries and gluten food, i.e chicken tenders.

If your daughter goes to guest services at the park entrance, they should have a list to give her of options in the park, like which stands have GF bread/rolls/buns or brownies. But most stands with the GF stuff do charge extra.

I just came back from Disney this summer and am a celiac.  She will have NO problem!  You can contact Brenda Bennett, head Chef at Magic Kingdom, at [log in to unmask]  She emailed lists of every restaurant (sit down or quick serve) and every item that is GF that is served at each location.  Your daughter will know exactly where she can and can't go and exactly what she can order.  Also, even at the quick-serve stations, I always asked for a manager and they were exceptional!!  I've never eaten better in my life than while I was at Disney!!!

Also, just an fyi-if she orders fries, at some quick services it took an extra 15-20 minutes because they may have been baked rather than fried etc.  One thing I wish I did was pack more gf bread/ rolls.

We loved Pecos Bill for quick service.

She was able to have burgers, pizza, etc., and chocolate chip cookies or brownies for dessert!