From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:47:36 -0400

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my question about the reliability of
food allergy testing, and specifically about www.bettercontrolofhealth.com

I didn't receive any replies from people who have used this testing company.
I did get a number of responses to the topic of food allergy testing,
though. Here's a summary:

**********

I would suggest Signet Diagnostic for the Mediator Release Test ( MRT) . I
use it for my patients and it is excellent!!

http://www.nowleap.com/

**********

I would not spend money on an IgG test. From what I have read, the IgG tests
are simply not accurate  because sometimes IgG is protective, so a high
reading may not necessarily be a bad thing. There seem to be a lot of
companies out there on the web offering the same thing - ELISA IgG  food
intolerance testing.

I have read a lot recently about a different kind of test - called Mediator
Release Testing by Signet Diagnostic Corp. This test measures the combined
effect of all mediators (histamine, cytokines) in response to different
foods. I have not had it done, but I think it would be worth looking into.

*********

Don't know if this helps but here is my story. I was having severe itching
problems and went to a Naturopath who took blood samples & sent it to a lab
(US BioTek) in Seattle. They tested for over 100 food allergies & it cost me
(out of pocket) about $130.00. Found out I had a high sensitivity to garlic
which I have avoided since then. Also showed lower sensitivities to other
items like dairy, pecans, and a couple of others. I was very glad I did
this. I don't know if my MD would have done a similar test.

***********

I was dx via a stomach biopsy so I have no experience with tests like what
you linked to. When I lived in KC we had Dr. Fine of the Enterolab speak
with our CSA support group and he was very informative. His website is
http://www.enterolab.com/ and I would reccomend it just from how well he
spoke about CD.

**********

A individual's reaction to a various food many not be something that can be
tested for food. Reactions can be topical in the gut, a chemical reaction
involving too much/little stomach acid or from bacterial interaction. These
won't be found in tests that look for systemic reactions which circulate in
the blood.

I do like Eat Right for your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo as a basic for
finding which foods may be better tolerated or more likely to cause a
problem.  I don't follow this blood type diet exclusively, but it did allow
me to link some foods to unpleasant reactions I'd rather avoid--white
potatoes, orange juice & kidney beans!  Much easier to start with the
abridged lists.