From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 07:42:40 -0800
Hi Hilary,

I'm posting my response to the list as I often learn a lot from
discussions here.

Conventional treatment for  polymyalgia rheumatica is steroids, so it is
clear that
this condition is autoimmune. While I agree that autoimmunity is very
frequently
the result of dietary factors, I have not seen convincing evidence that
fructose is
a major factor in autoimmunity. (I'm open to being shown the error of my
ways
on this topic. I just haven't seen the evidence.)

I believe that a more productive approach to this condition might  be an
elimination
diet, beginning with a one day fast. Fasting has shown positive results
in polymyalgia
rheumatica (1). For obvious reasons, it is a poor long-term solution.
Following the fast,
I would suggest a ketogenic diet, dominated by fat, adding one low glycemic
vegetable each morning, on an empty stomach, to see if there is any
reaction. If pain
returns, I would suggest a period of at least three days without adding
any new
foods - longer if pain persists.

Although I have only found scant evidence to support it, my suspicion is
that blood
glucose may also be a factor in polymyalgia rheumatica. My suspicion is
based, in
part, on the improvements reported from fasting in one anecdotal report
(1). I could
only read the abstract, as the remainder of the article is in German.

Molecular mimicry in response to an infectious agent is only (in my
opinion) likely
when the infection is chronic. For instance, when bacterial infectious
agents are
effectively responded to by the immune system, all that usually remains
in the body
is the memory cells. On the other hand, with viral and other agents
(prions, etc.)
where there are remnants of the disease that appear to be permanently
with us,
molecular mimicry seems likely, and may even be part of the dynamic by
which
these agents manifest in illness.

1. Stange R, Pflugbeil C. Fasting as part of a naturopathic treatment
approach for polymyalgia rheumatica.
Forsch Komplementmed. 2007 Aug;14(4):235-9.

best wishes,
Ron