C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 19:11:31 +0100
On Friday 23 Aug 2013 17:53:52 Trisha Cummings wrote:
> Hi Anu,
>
>   My Amber is now 27 and was a founder of the Virginia Commonwealth
> University Quidditch Team, as well a  local Richmond Community Quidditch
> team and is the VA state rep for Virginia in the International Quidditch
> Association. When I inquired it was eons ago - I was told she didn't
> qualify and was given no options. My thought is there should be one
> organization and all special needs kids would be eligible and actives would
> be according to their abilities. No Child left Behind - so to speak- lol
>
>                                                   Trisha

I looked up the eligibility rules on the UK site (to see if they were
different):-

Who is eligible to participate in Special Olympics?
To be eligible to participate in Special Olympics, you must be at least 6
years old (8 years old for competition) and identified by an agency or
professional as having one of the following conditions: an intellectual
(learning) disability, cognitive delay/s as measured by formal education
assessment, or significant learning or vocational problems due to cognitive
delay that require or have required specially designed instruction. All these
conditions would mean that the person has an IQ of below 75.

So it looks like it is the same. I never realised Special Olympics was such an
elitist group, a bit like MENSA.

Good to hear about the fortunes of Amber, those broomsticks can be tricky! I
always fancied being a beater, at least you get to carry a bat.

Cheers

Deri