VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:48:21 -0600
I don't think I can add much more to what Bill and Ana have already said,
but here's a few things to consider.

A laptop is going to give you more power, memory, storage and so on. It'll
have a nicer keyboard. It'll be heavier and won't run as long on a battery
though. So it really comes down to what you want the laptop/netbook for.

Most peple have a glut of processing power, memory and storage on their
systems, so they don't notice that they're giving up much when running on a
netbook. This isn't quite as true for a blind person using a screen reader,
since screen readers like Window Eyes and JFW are going to run better with
more memory. If you'll mostly be doing web surfing, using Skype and running
an email client, a netbook, even one running JFW, will probably be more than
adequate. This will also especially be true if it's your second computer or
portability and battery life are you're key factors.

If you'll be doing a lot with a office suite, especially large spread
sheets, storing a lot of music or doing any kind of gaming or audio/video
editting then a laptop would be more in line. This is all especially true if
this will be your main computer.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this added anything to what's already been
discussed.

--
Christopher