From:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:29:20 -0400

We ate at Tony & Alba's at 3137 Stevens Creek Boulevard in San Jose, California and were excited to see a variety of g-f options, including pizza, pasta, polenta and beer.  Their phone number is (408) 246-4605.

The owners (Al and Dionna) are very knowledgeable about celiac disease and cross-contact issues.  They make their g-f pizza in a dedicated area, separate cutter and pan, spoons, etc., and they make their g-f pasta in a dedicated pot.  The g-f pasta they use is the rotelle spiral shape – they purposely bought this type of pasta so there would be no confusion with gluten pasta.

The g-f pizza crust is the same pizza crust as they serve at Willow Street Pizza in San Jose (CA) (I think French Meadow).  It is a good, flavorful pizza. Also, the price is so reasonable (unlike Amici's that costs $25 for a g-f pizza). It only cost us $28 for one regular small pizza, one g-f pizza and two small drinks. Very reasonable considering both of us couldn't finish our pizzas and we have leftovers.  Also, I saw a picture of their polenta dish, which is g-f.  Next time I go I want to order the polenta!  It's covered in melted cheese with your choice of sauce. Their pastas and salads also look so delicious!

Enjoy!  P.S.  Tony & Alba's is a chain of restaurants.  Some other Tony & Alba's may be offering g-f options as well.  Check it out!

Sue

Usual disclaimer – eating out is risky.