From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:49:34 -0700

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for for your answers.Here is more info. I received:
First, I will tell you what I've been doing for my rosacea since I asked this question on the list serv. I'm using metronidazole 0.75%. Works well to resolve acne but don’t like to use a rx long time (possible side effects). Keeping a Rosacea Diary Form (from Rosacea.org). helps identify foods, weather, stresses, hot, cold, skin products, etc. very helpful. Problems I'm finding: yogurt (?) sun, hot showers. Still working on this diary to determine others. I'm still having some flareups. Still too early to determine exactly all that is causing my breakouts. I want to try the clear caladryl (see below next). If this doesn’t work, I want to try Finecea (see below).
My doc told me to stay away from very hot water on my face (including in the shower) even steam from hot liquids can exacerbate the acne. I have been using something called metro-gel (not sure if it is an antibiotic or not) but I used it for a time period and the rosacea pretty much disappeared. I get very short bouts now that might last only a couple of days (near my menstrual period). But it is nothing like what I used to get. So, you may want to try the metrogel and may only need it for a short time period. Then stay away from hot stuff to your face, also I use dove soap (doc said that was good, any mild soap would be best).
Yes!   All of a sudden I got this about 5 years ago.  Before that, my face would get red, but then all of a sudden, I started getting blemishes.
This is what does help me:
1. No gluten, soy, or dairy, or peanut products.  Any of these can cause the rosacea for me (including stuff cooked in peanut oil). If I eat any soy, I really look just like a 16 year old teen, with zits.  This includes in chocolate bars....it is really hard to find a chocolate bar without soy lecithin.   Avoiding these four takes care of it for me, but if something gets snuck in there, I can tell it; my face breaks out.  I can feel the burning in my face before.  I keep a small container of the remedy below to apply at just such times.
2. If I do have the bumps come up, or especially if I start to have them come up, here is my miracle remedy.   This really works for me, and is so much cheaper than meds they prescribed. I had an relative visit who has much my complexion, and she has rosacea all over her face, and had medicine for it. I had her try this, and the next day, the bumps were gone. The remedy is the clear Caladryl lotion, or the generic equivalent, sold in Walmart, other places for about $4.00 a bottle.  This will last a long time. I just a squirt of the clear lotion on an applicator, rinse this over the area on my face where the blemishes would come up, and it helps keep them at bay; in some cases if they are already there, they go away in a matter of an hour or two, or even less.  If they are already there full force, I keep applying it and most go away in a matter of hours.
Stay out of the sun.