From:
Teresa Wendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:02:37 -0500

 I wrote asking for help with my gf quick breads. They were taking too long to cook (according to directions) so with a thick crust and still a bit gooey inside.

I got several very helpful emails.  The primary recommendation was to decrease the amount of xanthan gum. General recommendation was 1/4 tsp xanthan gum per cup gf flour mix. I also had a recommendation to mix 50-50 guar gum with the xanthan.

--Cut back on liquid by 1-2 tbsp.
--Use a digital baking thermometer--internal temperature for quick and yeast bread should be 210F.
--My favorite and fail proof GF cookbook author with recipes is Annalise Roberts Gluten-Free Baking Classics which has muffins, sweet breads, scones, etc...
--You can use 1-2-3 Gluten Free's Meredith's Marvelous Muffin/Quickbread Mix for either banana or pumpkin bread (or other flavors too) and it's great.
--Adding a pan of water underneath the bread does help. Get a nice big roasting pan, add 2 inches or so of water, and put it under the shelf where the bread is. It will bake more evenly.
--I cover mine with foil after it bakes half the allotted time. I use gluten free pantry favorite snadwich bread mix. I cook it in a glass loaf pan. It bakes 35 mins. After 15 I cover loosely with foil and the top quits browning.
--Lots of the quick bread recipes call for a lot of oil/shortening. GF Flours don't absorb as much grease as wheat flour and using the amount called for in a 'wheat' recipe is probably make a soggy product.  I cut that back by about 1/3 when converting from my pre-dx recipes.  If recipe called for 1 c. oil originally, it would go to 2/3 c.  I also convert solid shorteining/margaine/butter to oil for most quick breads & cakes, opting for healthier oils with lots of Omega 3-s that are healthier.  (Canola-if tolerated, grapeseed or even olive oil)  1 c. of solid margaine would become 2/3 c., 1/2 to 1/3, 1/3 to 1/4.

In a second email I will send recipes that I received.
Thank you for your help,
Teresa in AZ