From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:07:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/2010 10:46:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

With all this discussion about the Optimal Diet I am now wondering what
exactly the due body weight means. Is this the weight he wants patients to
get to? Mine was 73 kilos and like I stated, that is about 10 kilos more
than I like to weigh. So would I then take the weight I feel good at and
calculate the ratios based on that?

Hi Kristina,

I too found that Kwasniewski's purported "ideal" body weights -- even
taking into consideratio his plus or minus 10% -- is simply too heavy.  If you
get his book -- you will see that he seems quite specific about what an ideal
weight is -- perhaps this is cultural.  I would be interested to see how
people accomplish the tremendously high fat amounts without resorting to
drinking heavy cream or pouring seriously high amounts of oil over their food.  On
paleo -- according to fitday, I average about a 70% fat diet.  But my fat
gram amounts are less than half of what Kwaskieski would say is acceptable.
My meat sources are fatty -- turkey sausage (I don't buy the lean ones -- I
get Shelton's brand) and grass-fed rib lamb chops with fat intact or other
grass fed meat.  I eat a daily can of sardines packed in oil.  I also have
been eating 4+ eggs per day --soft boiled. I eat lots of avocado and lately,
pumpkin seeds.  If I need oil on veggies -- it's coconut or olive oil.  But
the absolute amounts of fat are still 50% less than the Optimal Diet would
require. But even pats of butter would require 5 plus additional tablespoons.
If one could drink cups of cream -- maybe they could get there.  Adding
sufficient fat also dramatically increases calories and I'm not sure
hypercaloric diets day in and day out are good for anyone.  Why force more calories
than need simply to achieve a purportedly magical ratio? But even pats of
butter would require 5 plus additional tablespoons. Before investing in the
book, I would suggest simply following the ratios indicated on the Optimal Diet
web sites and see if the diet works for you.