From:
Amy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:47:22 -0400

However, a gluten-free diet can produce surprising results. For instance,
one man was admitted to hospital with dehydration and diarrhea. During his
stay, his capacity for speech production declined to the point where he was
diagnosed with aphasia. After considerable delay, he was diagnosed with
celiac disease and over the following months his speech returned (1).
Assuming a neurological basis for his aphasia, celiac disease and non-celiac
gluten sensitivity have been found in a majority of patients with
neurological disease of unknown origin and the non-celiac gluten sensitive
patients outnumbered those with celiac disease by a ratio of about 2 to 1
(2) so even if the person in question does not have celiac disease the diet
may, nonetheless, be worth a try.
sources:
1. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with
persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct
27;319(17):1139-48.
2. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ,
Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological
illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

~~~~

There was just a post about this somewhere on the celiac forums.  A guy that
only had a stuttering problem if he got gluttened.  If I find the post I
will forward it to you.  It might have been on the Paleo forum... I think it
is totally worth checking into & put the person on at least a 6 month strict
GF and dairy free trial - I am betting the stuttering gets better or just
goes away.  there are lots of neurological issues with gluten.

I would also get the gene test thru Enterolab.  If the person has a DQ1 gene
- then that would be a very positive for neurological issues.

~~~~`

I stutter--I think mine is a form of cerebellar ataxia.  I can't get words
out, I can't think of the correct word to use, my brain takes longer to
process info, I trip easily walking, can't walk a straight line, run into
things, etc, etc..... also.  I did not always stutter, tho--it got
progressively worse as I aged, as did the other problems.  I was ill from
childhood but not diagnosed till age 49 and by then had alot of brain
dysfunction.  That said, I have seen some healing of my BBB, at least where
taking meds are concerned.  Prior to my CD diagnosis, I had profound
problems with almost all meds.  When I had my hysterectomy, I could only use
1/14th the normal dose of morphine.  Last year (10 years later), I had an
accident which required morphine, and I could tolerate 1/3rd a normal dose.
I have also seen significant improvement in short-term memory.

~~~~~

I must've read something four years ago when I was diagnosed because at that
time I kept thinking about Mel Tillis ... anyway, I've googled around a bit
and this blog person might be someone to contact:

http://thestutteringbrain.blogspot.com/2006/04/food-and-stuttering.html

~~~~

Amy Jones, M.S., R.D., L.D.

Chief Clinical Dietitian and Celiac Support Group Faciliator

Mary Rutan Hospital

Bellefontaine, OH 43311

(937)651-6428

www.logancountyceliac.org

we are a CDF Connections Support Group.  Join us on Facebook!