From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 12:22:24 -0400

For some unknown reason, I grew up with the tradition of making kreplach for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, which begins Wednesday night. I thought you might enjoy the recipe. For those of you who want to use this dough for ravioli, I suggest rolling the dough very thin. I roll it to a little less than an eighth of an inch, and it boils up thicker.

My original recipe started with Bette Hagman's homemade pasta recipe from her firstl book, The Gluten-free Gourmet. (Dough, cut in strips, quickly deep-fried, makes great Chinese Noodles...which is an adaptation she has in the book. Also great for chicken soup.)

For my kreplach, I change her dough somewhat. These amounts will make 30 kreplach, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches across. My family puts 3 in their soup bowl, typically, if I make these small ones. I have been known to make them larger (3 inches).  Plan on spending over an hour doing this, with the clean-up being the hardest part.

First, put up one or two large pots of water, to which a splash of vegetable oil and a few shakes of salt have been added. Kreplach must be added when the water is at a rolling boil.  Do not attempt in a small pot.

In a large frying pan, saute 1 large onion and 1 lb of lean ground beef.  I prefer 80%. I find the leaner beef is too dry.  When all is cooked through, remove from pan into a large bowl, to cool.  (I usually make two batches of this and cook the additional onion and meat at one time.)

Dough. (Not using numbers, because sometimes that gets distorted in email).
Combine two thirds cup tapioca flour,
two thirds cup cornstarch
and about one quarter cup potato starch
with about one tablespoon of xanthan gum (This is less than Hagmans', but I find it's less gooey.)
Also a few shakes of salt. (I always use less than recipes call for.)
Mix together.  (Note...in a side dish, I also toss together about a total cup of gf flours, to use to flour my hands, the working surface, the rolling pin, etc.)

In another bowl, slightly beat four large eggs, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to eggs, and mix.

I have a granite countertop. I lightly wet it with a paper towel and lay aluminum foil over the counter. Wet between foil layers, too. They will lay flat, but be careful not to slice through them when you are slicing your dough, or you will ruin your countertops. But you're fine on whatever surface you usually roll dough on. Just flour slightly.

Martha Stewart would now put the flour mix on a large, floured surface and make a well (hole) and add the egg mixture, but I prefer to start this process in the bowl, and as the product gets moistened, then I dump it on to a lightly floured surface. Work with lightly floured hands until all mixed, then knead for about a minute or so. Do not overwork it.   I then cut it in half and work each half separately.  Roll out as thin as you can...mine is about just shy of 1/8 of an inch. Too thin, and it will rip. Too thick, and you'll have very dense kreplach.

Gently slice down the length, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches apart, then cut the strips into squares. Put a rounded tsp of filling in the center of each sq.  Then touch the edges of the square (one at a time) with wet fingers (water will do) to dampen, fold on the diagonal to form a triangle. You may have to gently stretch the top as you do it. Pinch edges and then press with a fork (like a pie edge). You may need to dip the fork in flour mix periodically, or it will stick.

Drop gently into boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes. I only put about 15 in the pot at one time.  I find they cook better than if you boil all 30 at a time. You could probably do the whole batch if you're using the kind of pot folks use to boil crabs. The kreplach need space and lots of water.

Remove when done with a slotted spoon. If you're about to have your soup, you can put some in the bowls now. To freeze, I make a row of six on foil, fold up the foil, and when it's cool enough, I freeze them. Foil is easy to remove in future. To defrost, I just drop frozen kreplach in boiling water...don't overcook. You may want to put them in soup to defrost, but I don't like how starchy that makes the soup. I bundle them like this, even if I'm not freezing them, because if you pile them all in a bowl and refrigerate for later or the next day, you'll find, the ymay stick together.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've been making these for years.  And now, I have to go clean up the kitchen! Hate this part.

Lin