C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 08:38:24 EDT
This is all great information to have. This group is a blessing! Thanks for
 all your encouragement!
Cindy

In a message dated 5/18/2009 3:14:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Cindy,

I was evaluated by my PT to be able to drive and I never  had any
modifications.  I remember when I was first learning,  we figured out
that I could not hit the brake with my toes or I  would spasm, but if
I hit it with the middle of my foot I was less  likely to spasm.  But
I did spasm quite a bit before I relaxed  in my abilities and frankly,
developed the muscle strength and  stamina to push on the gas/brake
for an extended trip.  I  remember when I took the driving test I told
the guy that my leg  would shake but that I still had control of
braking.  To this  day I still wear out brake pads faster than you
should, not so much  from driving fast and braking too much, but more
from pushing so  hard on the brake to keep from spasming!  I also
remember that  when I was still learning to drive, I could go for
about a half hour  before less muscle fatigue set in while highway
driving, so we got  cruise control on the car and that was no longer
an  issue.

Linda Macaulay

MAX Audio-Video
717-898-2920  (office)