C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 15:13:55 -0400
Cindy,

I was evaluated by my PT to be able to drive and I never had any
modifications.  I remember when I was first learning, we figured out
that I could not hit the brake with my toes or I would spasm, but if
I hit it with the middle of my foot I was less likely to spasm.  But
I did spasm quite a bit before I relaxed in my abilities and frankly,
developed the muscle strength and stamina to push on the gas/brake
for an extended trip.  I remember when I took the driving test I told
the guy that my leg would shake but that I still had control of
braking.  To this day I still wear out brake pads faster than you
should, not so much from driving fast and braking too much, but more
from pushing so hard on the brake to keep from spasming!  I also
remember that when I was still learning to drive, I could go for
about a half hour before less muscle fatigue set in while highway
driving, so we got cruise control on the car and that was no longer
an issue.

Linda Macaulay

MAX Audio-Video
717-898-2920 (office)