From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 17:10:51 -0500
        I had to guess at which foods were safe.  I got "bulk deli" bacon
because it looked brown instead of red.  I figured it would be uncured,
but I couldn't find a butcher around to ask (I'm a night shopper).  I also
couldn't find any specificallyt labeled "unfiltered" juices, but I did
pick up four not-from-concentrate brands, and I looked for pulp and/or
"juicy bits" in everything but the apple juice.  I only do one glass a
day.  The orange juice is calcium and vitaman C enriched - just because.

        As for Paleotech, I got a Britta for the water and a PowerCrisp
for the Bacon.  The PowerCrip actually works very well.  I discovered I
didn't like bacon as much as I thought I did when it didn't have any mayo
or toast with it.  But I am aquiring a taste for it.

        As for the raw meat dept., I ordered a Medium steak yesterday
from Sizler.  Again, I didn't like the taste as much as a well stake, but
I expect my palate to get used to it.  On Sunday I'm going to order a
RARE stake.  My theory is that if I pay for it to be cooked rare, I will
eat it without complaint.  And I will like it.

        On the scary side: my friends are scared for my life.  They say,
"If you're going to cut out a whole food group, it should be meat."  I
figure he's an engineer, I'm a historian.  I know Audette is right when
he recreates a paleolithic diet.  And their "dead at 20" is totally
untrue, execpt of course in the neolithic time when agriculture distroyed
people's bodies.  I'll be dead at 40 if I -don't- divest myself of
complex carbohydrates!

        *Another scary thing is that I woke up with diareah this morning.
Is this normal, or is this an incedental effect?  I know that my stool
will become easier to clean and faster to pass, but I didn't expect
diareah.  It wasn't painful, Mexican diareah, though.  Also, my lips are
dry and salty.*

        I have been cheating a little by eating cocktail weaners at and
after my graduation party, but now that they are gone, I'm not going to
move on to the peperoni or summer sausage, but instead stick with the
deli ham and turky.

        It's only day 3, and allready I'm developing a taste for
vegatables.  I want to eat raw spinach and romain lettuce for some
reason.  With pepper for seasoning and chicken for a little extra proteen.

-----
Karl Alexis McKinnon
SP2