From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:31:49 -0500
You're right,
The band does show the best of conditions from both forty and 80, and
there've been times I've heard NH and CO  along with other states in a sort
of round table at the same time, here in GA.
the activity on sixty is very much like it was  on most if not all the bands
in the late fifties.
At least so far, in this region,
Channel four, 5.371.5 seems to have the most activity, /that channel, is
also the HFpack seledction for that band, which does help, but I've heard
activity on all  five of the channels, although 1&2 seem to have the least
activity here.
It's _definitely worth experimentation with.  Most rigs can be modded for
the band with a diode removal, and your existing tuner and antenna may  well
function ok.  In my old location, a G5RV and a ts440SAT, as well as a
706+LDG at11MP, a yaesu ft70G+SGC211 tuner, and an 817ND, also worked out ok
on that band.
I have no outside antenna here at present, but a Super Antennas MP1, is very
simple and blind friendly/(tuning _strictly via maxing the signal to noise
in the receiver by ear,)loads up ok indoors, on all bands, 80-10meters, but
of course is limited because_ of  its' "indoorsness."
If your current antenna system won't work on sixty, There are sixty meter
ham stick type antennae , made to mount in a magmount or other
3/8by24Threaded mount, that aren't very expensive.   Of course,
comparatively speaking, They're not real efficient either, but they will
get you on the air,  and make it possible for you to work at least some
stations.   and as some one has so aptly said,
an antenna that gets you on the air even a little, beats a radio cold on the
shelf that never breaks radio silence.
HTH, Danny.