Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 23:34:20 +0000

Thanks to the numerous folks who responded to my question (at the end of this message). Eleven respondents use tapioca, mostly instant tapioca, or instant tapioca starch. This is what is recommended by America's test kitchen. 6 or 7 people use sweet rice flour -- one toasts it in the oven before use for color and flavor. 3 each use flour mixes, instant potatoes and potato starch. There were a couple votes each for white rice flour and cornstarch. Other suggestions included arrowroot, cooking with a potato chunk which would eventually break down and thicken the sauce, or blending the veggies at the end of cooking to create a veggie gravy.

Thanks again!
Jeanne

Original question: Is there a good substitute flour for use as a thickener in a crockpot? Or, do we have to thicken with cornstarch at the end of the cook time?